Soft, chewy and bursting with flavor... this dish (as of last night) is a favorite in our house! My husband doesn't typically compliment my cooking, I judge whether or not he likes a dish by if he eats the left overs for lunch. So, imagine my surprise when I got a compliment per bite! It was truly delicious and extremely easy to make.
Although cooked quite differently, the marinade itself was inspired by Meg over at With Salt and Wit.
If you're looking for a "fancy" dinner for two... this will be a hit!
I was planning to make the Scallops for a Main Dish but was struggling as to what I was going to pair them with. At this moment in time I happen to be playing around with the If It Fits In Your Macros eating style. This style of eating is when you count your carbs, protein and fat ratio. I'm personally trying it because I like to play guinea pig on myself before I do so on my clients! Anyways, the point is, I was completely out of "fats" for the day so I had to get creative with this dish! I came up with the lowest fat combination I could find and it was absolutely mouth-watering. The end product: scallops over a bed of quinoa and sauteed spinach! Healthy, nutritious, delicious!
For those who do count their macros, the ratio is approximately: 32.82g C | 25.65g P | 2.09g F
- 1.5 cups of spinach
- 1/2 cup Quinoa (measured dry)
- garlic salt and garlic powder to taste
- 3 TBSP Green Onions
Sauteed Spinach (1.5 cups in olive oil spray) topped with quinoa (1/2 cup dry, 1 cup water) season with a bit of garlic salt and garlic powder and some green onions mixed in. Lay the spinach down first, the quinoa on top, and lastly we will add the scallops and drizzle it with the left over marinade. The best part is, the spinach and quinoa are low maintenance which helps neutralizethe bold flavor of the scallops!
Scallops Marinade Ingredients:
- 1/4 CUP Tamari Gluten Free "Soy Sauce" (or regular soy sauce)
- 1 TBSP Agave
- 2 TBSP Balsalmic Vinegar
- 1 TBSP Rice Vinegar
- Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- 1 lb of Scallops
- In large bowl combine all ingredients, add scallops last to marinate.
- While scallops are marinating, start the quinoa. Add 1 cup of water to 1/2 cup of quinoa, bring to a boil and let simmer. Approx. 15-20 minutes.
- Spray large pan with Pam. Separate scallops from marinade. Do not cook the scallops in the marinade! Cook scallops for roughly 7 minutes each side.
- While cooking scallops, spray pam in another pan. Add 1.5 cups of Spinach until wilted.
- Lay spinach on plate first, top with quinoa, scallops on quinoa and lastly heat the marinade in your scallop pan for about a minute. Drizzle marinade on dish.