This past weekend we ventured up to the Cabin in Utah where the weather is cool and fall is in the air! Here in Vegas mother nature doesn't exactly bless us with seasons quite like the Cabin does! So, every time we head that way (which has been a lot lately!), I take advantage of soups, chili and anything that seems absolutely unbearable to eat in HOT LV.
This past weekend, we had an immediate Phelan family reunion up there. Before heading out there, I made a menu for the weekend and did all of the shopping. I absolutely HATE wasting food and I absolutely LOVE planning meals.. we ended up with the perfect amount of food. We did however run out of coffee. Never underestimate the amount of coffee that could potentially be consumed. That is disastrous! Anyways... For such a big crowd, I figured I better be strategic in my meals or I'd spend all day in the kitchen. This Crock Pot White Bean Chili was a favorite amongst all and so easy to make for a large crowd.
It was clean enough to be considered healthy and delicious enough to pass for unhealthy. But the best part about it, is it is literally a dump and wait recipe that takes essentially no effort and is extremely difficult to ruin (another thing you never want to do cooking for a large crowd).
Spencer actually liked it so much, when I asked him what he wanted for lunch this week, he quickly suggested, "That chili stuff we had at the cabin. It was so good". I guess his taste for this delicious chili trumped the 85 degree weather.
My sister-in-law and myself are both vegetarians, so I made a VEGAN Chili and a chicken chili. Below I've added the chicken chili recipe but complete with the option of making it vegan.
Hope it's a favorite among your family, just like it was mine!
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 4-8 Hours in Crock Pot
- Chop Onion, Green onion and minced garlic.
- Add Chicken to bottom of crock pot (omit if doing vegan)
- Add all ingredients to crockpot.
- Depending on how long you'll be away, cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Once done, take chicken out and shred on a plate using two forks, then add back into crock pot for serving. If you are not able to shred chicken easily, then it is not done.
- 3 Large Chicken Breasts (Exclude if doing Vegan)
- 1/2 Sweet Onion
- 1 Cup Green Onions (chopped)
- 1 TBSP Minced Garlic
- 1 Can White Northern Beans
- 1 Can Cannellini Beans
- 1 Can Pinto Beans
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth (1 cup Vegetable broth if you're doing Vegan)
- 1 Can Green Chilis
- 24 oz Jar of Herdez Salsa Verde (only use half if doing Vegan)
- 1 TSP Garlic Salt
- 1 TSP Pepper
- 1 TSP Cumin